Skip to content

Publishing your Master’s Paper at Brandeis

Some departments require a Master’s Paper instead of a thesis or allow you the option. A Master’s paper is an in-depth research paper that is the culmination of your research here at Brandeis. The difference between a paper and a thesis varies from department to department. For example, for a thesis, a department might require a certain page length, etc. Please check with your department whether or not they require a paper or a thesis.

As of May 2015, GSAS Master’s students whose departments require a Master’s paper now have the option of depositing their papers to the BIR.

GSAS collaborates with the Brandeis Library for submission and archiving of electronic versions of Master’s papers through electronic deposit to the Brandeis Institutional Repository. Authors may find this advantageous since an electronic version of the paper can include photographs, simulations, video clips and sound, thumbnail pages, and links to aid navigation through the document. Adding color to diagrams of molecules and simulating three-dimensional models would enhance the impact and possibly clarify for readers some of your ideas.

If you would like to submit your paper to the BIR, please have your advisor email institutionalrepository @ to trigger the creation of your submission permissions.

Then, save a Microsoft Word .doc/.docx version of your paper in addition to the PDF file you will eventually create in Adobe Acrobat. NAME your file with your last name, “MApaper”, and year of completion. No spaces should appear in the filename. Example: JeromeMApaper2015.pdf

Once your paper is in a suitable PDF format for submission, go to and select “login” under My Account. Use your UNet ID and password to log in. Select the Submissions option under My Account. This will take you to the first step of the submission process.

A pdf of the General Guidelines for Master’s paper submissions can be found here.

If you are unsure whether or not to submit a paper or thesis, please check with your graduate adviser and department.

Departments that Require Master’s Papers 

Classical Studies
Comparative Humanities 
Teaching Chinese at the College Level
Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies

Protected by Akismet
Blog with WordPress

Welcome Guest | Login (Brandeis Members Only)